Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Valentine's Day 2013

This Valentine's Day has been a different animal than last year.  Last year I had one first grader to contend with.  This year I have a preschooler, a kindergartner, and a second grader that all need to bring valentines to school.  8 year old Reese decided she wanted to do something with Reese's peanut butter cups.  She has always gotten a kick out of sharing her name with the candy!  When she was 2, she was always upset to see anybody else eating "her" candy.  Anyway, I came up with these very simple cards.



You're the Peanut Butter to My Chocolate!

First, I printed and cut out the cards on heavy card stock.  (Free printable at the bottom of this post.)  Then, Reese used a hot glue gun and glued on the mini Reese's peanut butter cups.  I highly recommend using a hot glue gun!!  It has made my crafting life so much easier!  They're also crazy inexpensive!  The glue gun I have from Hobby Lobby was $2.99 and worth every penny.  Tape would fall off right away, most other types of glue take forever to dry and are sticky and messy.  To me, it's a no brainer!


If your child, like most children, is not named Reese, don't fret!  I think this project looks just as cute with their name handwritten next to "Love," at the bottom.  Then you can glue a mini version of whatever chocolate/peanut butter candy you want!  PB M&Ms, Russell Stover hearts, Reese's Pieces, Butterfingers, the possibilities are endless!  Happy Crafting!

Free Printable!
Right click the image, save to your computer and print!





Ava chose good old fashioned box valentines!  I completely get and support including tattoos instead of candy, but I have to say the design of these is flawed.  Lots of box valentines include a pink heart sticker that holds the valentine folded shut, and the idea is that the tattoo should just slip inside.  The problem is that it slips out just as easily, and you end up with lots of cards and no tattoos.  Hot glue gun to the rescue!!

Here's my solution:



1.  Skip the heart stickers.  They're not really worth the effort.




2. Hot glue a treat to the outside of the card.  If it flaps open, it doesn't matter!  Nothing inside to fall out.  I actually think it looks cooler with a little movement!














3. Hot glue the tattoo on top of the treat!  It adds interest and texture!

That was faster and easier than the intended directions!  The 6 year olds may not appreciate the subtle difference in looks, but you know they'll appreciate being able to find their tattoo!  (An extra treat also can't hurt!  Hey, it's Valentine's Day. :-) )

No comments:

Post a Comment