Friday, March 15, 2013

How to Get Crayon out of Upholstery

So, I may have been doing exactly what I shouldn't do and using melted crayon near the couch.  OOPS!  *Side note: if you put crayons in a $2 glue gun, you can use them to make cool melty, drippy crayon art.*  Just don't leave it on and walk away from it!  When I picked up the glue gun, the whole crayon in the gun had heated and was melty.  I did not notice this until I had dripped melted crayon wax all over the arm of my couch.  Nooooooo!! I was so mad at myself!!

So, where does any good 21st century person go to find out how to clean crayon out of upholstery?  The internet!  Of course!  The internet knows everything.

P.S. The internet doesn't know everything....

I tried a whole bunch of tips I got from the internet on how to get crayon out of upholstery, and none totally worked.  Then I thought, Hey! Maybe crayola's website has a tip!  Crayola's website has clearly been in this predicament before.  They have a SUPER comprehensive list of how to get every one of their products out of a bunch of different mediums.  Click here to check out their list.


So, learn from me.  Here are the things that I tried, that I thought would be miracle cures.

1. Use an iron with medium heat and high steam.  Put a paper towel over the crayon, then iron.  The crayon will be absorbed into the towel and out of your fabric!  


This was my first attempt, and actually worked the best of all my home remedies.  It was also the most popular suggestion.  Some wax was absorbed into the paper towel.

The Problem: It took forEHver, many passes, lots of paper towel, and it left heat marks on the arm of the couch.  NEXT!

2. Use vinegar and Dawn blue dish soap.  Scrub and rinse. 


No!  Can I virtually slap these out of your hand?  I tried this on the two areas on the right and it bleached the fabric.  Plus, if I would have kept going I think I would have scrubbed it bald.  Lots of lint came out when I tried this....no.

3.  The Winner!!  What I should have done in the first place!  



I went to Crayola's website, and they had these simple instructions:

Uuuuuuuuuugggggggghhhhh.  That's what I probably would have done in the first place if I hadn't been so smart to go internet searching! The product I used was Scotchgard Oxy Carpet & Fabric Spot & Stain Remover.

So, I hope this helps you!  Live and learn, I suppose.  (and no more melted crayon for a while!! :-))

No comments:

Post a Comment