Monday, April 8, 2013

Going Gluten Free

I have been struggling with autoimmune hypothyroidism (Hoshimoto's disease) for over a year now, and can't seem to get a hold on it.  I have seen an endocrinologist and taken medication for all that time, but still can't seem to lose weight, I have low energy, depressed mood, feel cold all the time, and generally just don't feel healthy.  It doesn't seem to matter if I eat 500 calories or 2,500 calories in a day, the scale does not budge.

Then I heard from a few different people that a gluten free diet can help ease thyroid symptoms.  Thinking I had nothing to lose, I started to be gluten free about a week ago, and wow what a difference!  I almost immediately had more energy and have been losing fractions of a pound every day!  Here are two recipes that I've tried and liked that are gluten free.

Gluten Free Banana Bread

This is a family recipe for banana bread that I have modified to be gluten free.  It turned out pretty tasty- just slightly spongier and stickier than the bread with regular flour.  Also try almond flour for a drier more crumbly bread.  Yum!


Ingredients:
  • 3 ripe bananas
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg (room temperature?) the family recipe says room temperature- not sure why or whether that makes a difference!
  • 1/4 cup butter (softened)
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 cups sweet white rice flour


Mash the bananas in a medium bowl.  Add the rest of the ingredients, and mix well.  Bake uncovered at 350°  for 50 minutes.


Then remove from oven, cover, and bake for another 30 minutes at 350°.


There you have it!


Gluten Free Snickerdoodles


I found this recipe from Betty Crocker, and it is my favorite of these two recipes!  The cookies are light and crumbly, and delicious!  Once they're totally cool they have a little crispiness to them that I loved too.  I highly recommend trying this recipe if you are a snickerdoodle, or just plain cinnamon fan!

I have heard from a fellow gluten free fan that Betty Crocker makes a whole slew of good gluten free products as well from cake mix to muffins.  It may be worth checking out!







No comments:

Post a Comment